Avivo FoodWorks is a program within Avivo’s Community Support Program (CSP), which meets a community need and also provides possible career paths for members. Food-based programming is being created to fill a recurring need shared by members: access to affordable, healthy food options. Programming also provides an opportunity for community partnerships with businesses in the food service and horticulture industries.
FoodWorks is founded on the principles of food justice. Food justice is a holistic and structural view of the food system that sees healthy food as a human right and addresses structural barriers to that right.
FoodWorks activities include the following:
- Community gardens and opportunities to grow your own fresh produce at home
- Landscaping design
- Telehealth/Zoom sessions that include basic nutrition education
- Shopping and cooking on SNAP benefits
- Opportunities to build your resume in food related areas
- Many more opportunities will become available as well